About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is Irene Owens. My greatest passion in life is Art. I love drawing portraits, painting whimsical pictures and illustrating for children. I also collect children's books and hope to one day get one of my own picture books published. I have a shop on Etsy where I sell my prints, hand painted pendants and mirrors. In this blog you will find artists that inspire me, brilliant handmade creations and my own art. I hope you enjoy my posts.

Sunday 29 January 2012

Beatriz Martin Vidal

Singing "Three Blind Mice" to my little son, I was counting in my head all the nursery rhymes which are quite dark in my opinion. I have counted a lot of them. Just the falling theme alone repeats itself over an over - baby falling from the tree top, Jack and Jill, Humpty Dumpty, monkeys falling off the bed... And then of course, three blind mice with their tails chopped off. How horrid, I thought. And then I was thinking back to my own childhood and the book I loved dearly. It was a collection of French fairy tales. Many of the tales were quite bloody, dark and scary. These were the ones I loved the most. I guess we all need a bit of darkness, suspense and thrill. When it comes to art, Beatriz Martin Vidal's illustrations satisfy this need for me. Her images are so beautiful, yet eerie and sometimes even creepy. Wonderful and haunting.

















2 comments:

  1. Great illustrations...love the little girls coming out of the page.. it is weird how most nursery rhymns are dark. "Ring a ring o roses" is all about the black death.... we all fall down laughing now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was thinking about Ring a ring o roses as well! Pretty grim stuff. Oh, the little girls coming out of the page were made for a newspaper article about the creatures writers create by writing. very clever

      Delete