About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is Irene Owens. My greatest passion in life is Art. I love drawing portraits, painting whimsical pictures and illustrating for children. I also collect children's books and hope to one day get one of my own picture books published. I have a shop on Etsy where I sell my prints, hand painted pendants and mirrors. In this blog you will find artists that inspire me, brilliant handmade creations and my own art. I hope you enjoy my posts.

Friday 6 January 2012

Out and About


This illustration is done with acrylics and is meant to look as if it's painted with watercolor. I've no idea why I'm trying to make acrylics look like watercolor when I have a perfectly nice watercolor set. I guess I haven't overcome my fear of watercolor yet. It's just so... wishy washy. Well, at least in my hands. Whenever I see a really great watercolor painting I simply itch to do one of my own but so far I've only managed to mix watercolor with acrylics, never used watercolor alone in the whole painting. Scaredy cat. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

Is there a medium that you long to master but haven't got courage to?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Irene, love this painting...try using watercolour pencils to get over your fear of watercolours .. Pastels were a problem for me...didn't know how to use them, then I bought some NeoColour II's watched a couple of Youtube videos and now I use them all the time. It's the traditional use of mediums that scare us. Let's face it the worse thing that can happen is the painting is rubbish...solution... 1. paint over it and start again....or 2. bin it.... Leap in and play..... Have a great weekend.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, you're right, even ruining a painting is not the end of the world. I did consider watercolor pencils at one point actually... Might give them a go. Oh and I had a phase when I only used pastels a few years ago. Loved them. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have attempted watercolour if it weren't for my illustration course. In fact I never mastered a traditional medium, I've done all my colour work in oil pastels for years. I'm longing to get a Wacom digital tablet and learn how to paint digitally. I just have a feeling I would be good at it. Unfortunately I don't have the funds yet!

    ReplyDelete